Monday, September 28, 2009

Dussera

Today is the day of the Dussera festival when most people don't go to work and the town was thronged with people dressed in their finery.  It's a really colourful, noisy event and everywhere I went with my camera I had people wanting me to take their photos.  After my rude awakening of the morning and clean-up exercise I decided to catch up with some emails and do a bit of work.  Then the electricity went off, followed by my modem and mobile phone.  When my battery was down to the last 10 minutes I decided to give up and go for a walk.  That's when the heavens opened with a cyclone storm.  I got wet.  But it didn't really matter as it was warm and I took some photos on the way round a rural road that took me round a big curve and back into the town or Koraput.

View across some of the Koraput hills near the Kolab reservoir, part of the Machkund Dam series of reservoirs

I need to learn to carry things on my head like this

More than usually colourful Koraput market place

A tribal family

One of the dozens of tribal stalls with the produce beautifully presented and laid out

Kids jostling for attention

And some more

This cow obviously fancied a change from rotten cabbage

2 comments:

  1. What fascinating photos. I'm getting a far better sense of Koraput looking at them. The colour and the produce look wonderful. Is that a dog emerging from a drain by the produce stall?
    Was it raining when you took the picture of the tribal family; it has a wonderful quality to the light which make it a magical photo.

    I'm so looking forward to coming to see you.

    I've just spent 20 minutes or so showing your blog pictures to A & K (like you they don't have Broadband) who also thought they were fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a dog in the drain, emerging after a whack on the back from the woman selling the veg. I don't think it was raining in town but there was high humidity which made the air quite misty.

    ReplyDelete