Sunday, September 13, 2009

A bit of tomorrow has arrived

We have toilet paper in Koraput!  I never thought I'd get excited about the purchase of such items but true to his promise, the guy in the 'best shop in Koraput' (as described by Ramesh, the supplier of my mobile phone and modem) has brought toilet paper to Koraput, possibly for the first time if you exclude that brought in VSO volunteer backpacks or in goody bags from home.  So that tomorrow is here.  We have decided to buy him out of supplies very quickly to see if it prompts him to get more stocks in.

The sad thing is that I still can't get money out of the ATM.  I've found 4 ATMs here in Koraput, all provided by the same banking corporation.  All have refused to hand out any cash.  It's happily handing out cash to people before and after me but has taken against me, refusing to give money out to either my debit or credit cards.  What do I buy food with?  I'm off to Delhi tomorrow evening so hopefully I'll be able to persuade an ATM to part with some cash. 

The Andhra Bank where I'm attempting to open up an Indian rupees account was open yesterday but as that was Saturday not able to process the application.  So back there tomorrow again with fingers crossed as that's how I'll be able to get to my VSO living allowance.  And be able to buy little luxuries like food.  And more toilet paper.

I've not had much chance to take my camera out with me yet.  I have a very nice digital SLR camera which can take great shots but is pretty heavy and bulky and awkward to carry around with me when I go out shopping for food or kit for the house (I've had very strange looks when spotted lugging around 2 stools, a bucket, a mop and other bits and pieces) so unfortunately I've not managed to get many photos yet.  Hopefully that will get easier when I don't need to buy house supplies any more and when I get more confident about carrying around a piece of expensive gear in a town as poor as Koraput.  It makes me feel very self-conscious and stand out even more as the affluent westerner.  But I do carry it occassionally and managed to get a nice shot of a girl who always greets us with smiles and welcomes us to Koraput.  Here's Megha:

 I was also asked to take a photo of a bit of tribal artwork knocked up by a local artisan a couple of days ago for my NGO, using some traditional designs.  I loved it and would like to get something like it for home


Maybe one day soon I'll be able to get someone to take photos of me wearing my salwar kameez.

3 comments:

  1. Hillary,

    As someone who will soon be coming to Koraput (Dec.), I want to say thanks to you and the other volunteers that secured a source TP. I hope it's a lasting thing!

    Corey Grone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please spread the word to Rayagada as well - there will be at least 1 person there coem December who will purchase some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always glad to be of service to current and future volunteers. Let's keep that toilet paper rolling in to Orissa

    ReplyDelete