Monday, September 28, 2009

Another day off work

I woke up this morning still feeling full and needing to do some exercise so decided I needed to wash through some clothes again - they'd been washed but didn't smell good.  These are things that I first washed just after I arrived in Koraput and they took so long to dry that they ended up smelling sour and musty as the water slowly turned stagnant.  Not a great perfume so I had left them soaking with detergent overnight and washed them through this morning.  Now washing bending down over a bucket in the bathroom is a messy business and I usually end up with my clothes soaking.  This weekend I'm alone in the house, the shutters were all closed so I decided to take off my pyjama bottoms while I did the washing to make life a bit easier for myself. 

At least I was just slightly covered up.  As I wandered back through the house I jumped when one of the builders flung open a shutter from the outside and shouted "Pani pani" at me  and pointing up to the roof.  This took me by surprise as it was about 6:45 in the morning and on Dussera festival day when noone works.  Oh well, I just had to cover up and go to switch on the water pump.  There is a big water tank on the roof which is filled by water pumped up from our tube well, the murky looking pit just outside the house.  The roof has a new hard surface on it that I guess needs to dry slowly to stop in cracking and they keep wanting to flood the roof with water from the tank.  I hope we are not on a meter, it seems such a waste as I see water pouring over the roof and out through the new drainage outlets.

By this time I was well awake and needing to burn off a bit of the aggro from my surprise visitor as well as yesterday's calories so I set-to with a scraper on all the bits of mortar splashed all over the floors.  They don't feel great under bare feet.  I hadn't been able to find a paint scraper similar to the ones we use at home when decorating so have improvised with a kitchen spatula I found that's a bit more solid than most.  So the next couple of hours were spent on my hands and knees scraping the floor with a spatula, brushing up the mess with my paintbrush/dustpan brush (fully clothed) followed by a swill down with the mop and bucket.  Why do I do these things on my holiday I wonder?   Probably because I'm too tired to to it after a day at work. I'm beginning to think that I really should have gone away for the weekend to have a proper rest.

2 comments:

  1. But Hilary you need the exercise in preparation for another meal with the neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid that I'll have to admit to not taking the same approach to cleaning at home. You will be pleased to know that I have been cleaning the toilet regularly and not leaving it until you return.

    This post made to test email notification of comments.

    ReplyDelete