Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A day at the office


There was a workshop on disability orientation today at my NGO, delivered to most of the SPREAD programme coordinators to enhance their understanding of the problems facing people with any sort of disability.  It was facilitated in Hindi by Praveen from VSO with translations where needed into English and the tribal languages used by many of the people there.  I didn't understand most of it but was able to pick up the gist of the programme and had to join in the laughter at some of the exercises which looked great fun at the same time as being pretty informative.  The team were divided into groups and each group were told to simulate a different disability and then to eat lunch outside.  The pictures tell the story much better than I could

 First find your way out of the workshop
 
 And then round the side to wash your hands

The only way to lift a stack of plates with  your hands tied is with the help of a partner

Eating with your hands tied adds to the challenge of no cutlery
 
 Margaret & Ajaya from SPREAD and Praveen from VSO

I wish I could read this
 
 I managed to get M to take a photo of me but I am looking really self-conscious and no salwar kameez today
Back home for the evening we shared a few drinks with Mike, Ajaya and Praveen and put the world to rights and talked about our favourite music.   It seems that Praveen shares my Johnny Cash obsession which helped me to feel a bit more at home.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like an interesting event; people seem to be having fun as well as learning,
    I like the photo of you, it's nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes looks like fun was had by everyone, good event by the sounds of things. I hope you weren't one of those whose hands were tied, else eating with your hands would have been even more troublesome :)

    Glad you've found some common ground with colleagues via the Man in Black, our captain on the boat last year played lots of his stuff on guitar for singalongs, good stuff, took me back to liking it when I was younger and it wasn't fashionable to like country music - pre Walk the Line movie days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was relieved not to have to be put into bondage as I managed to eat without too much mess without the aid of cutlery and had good fun taking photos of the people who were tied up in knots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary, I've just realised I made a gross error in my first comment when I said the photo was nice. I meant, of course, to say that you looked lovely in the photo. I feel safer now :)

    I've enjoyed country music ever since the day (before I met Hilary) I fell in love with Emmylou Harris. Like Johnny Cash she transcends the genre.

    About the bondage thing Hilary ...

    ReplyDelete