Thursday, March 25, 2010

A few Darjeeling animals

I put aside my prejudices about zoos to visit the zoological park in Darjeeling.  I don't like seeing big animals caged up with little to do and getting stressed by visitors shouting at them but this zoo has some rare Himalayan species with captive breeding programmes for snow leopards, red pandas, Tibetan wolves and others and a couple of Bengal tigers that were rescued from circuses and it was really interesting.  Darjeeling has a fair number of other animals wandering round including the inevitable street dogs and monkeys that seem to live happily alongside each other.

A great holiday but I have now left the cool of the Darjeeling hills to head back for the heat of Orissa. It will be hotter than ever.  It will be good to get back to work to try to finish off as much as I can before leaving India at the end of my placement.  I did after all come here to work, not to be a tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment