Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I've nothing against builders but....

Followers of my blog will be familiar with my moans about the builders next door.  I've been getting increasingly annoyed by the mess left behind each day.  The builders had taken over my roof every day to use as a platform to do much of the building work, leaving trails of filth behind them as they carried bricks, sand and mortar up the steps.  I lost the plot a bit one day when I came home feeling unwell and was trying to relax in the house when several of them started shouting and messing around just outside my open door before racing upstairs to eat their lunch on my roof.  The plot-owner frequently meanders up the steps, sometimes with wife, son and other family members to inspect works and of course the child likes racing around on my roof. 

I'm not a particularly house-proud person but I try to keep it reasonably clean so that I have a nice place to return to, not one where I have to pick my way through rubble, sand and cement.  I'm starting to feel like my personal space has been invaded and am wary about putting out my laundry with all the red dirt and other mess.  I asked the leaseholder to raise it with house owner and the builders did start cleaning up at the end of the day.  For about a week.  Then they took a couple of weeks holiday and have returned to their old habits.

I decided to do as I'd threatened previously and put a padlock on the gate to stop them getting into the yard.  They climb over the wall instead.  Anyone got any broken glass I can cement onto the wall?

To sum up, the once empty plot that was home to cows and various wildlife now has a house slowly emerging using interesting building techniques.

I thought there might be a boundary dispute in the offing when the wall at the front of the new house was built partly underneath the overhang of mine at the front but they've just managed to mould the new wall around mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment